This course is designed for law enforcement officers who are required to make entry and secure a methamphetamine lab prior to the assessment or processing. Classroom instruction includes types of methamphetamine labs, physical and chemical hazards associated with tactical response to methamphetamine labs, and respiratory protection. Raid planning and protective clothing and equipment are also covered in the classroom. Scenario-based training follows classroom instruction. During scenario-based training, students will use protective equipment while executing search warrants into suspected lab sites. Respiratory protection consisting of an air purifying respirator or a self-contained breathing apparatus will be used while clearing the house, along with simunition guns.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Describe different manufacturing methods.
- List how to assess, evaluate, and control the hazards associated with different lab types.
- Describe the health and safety issues with clandestine laboratory response.
- Discuss the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulatory issues associated with clandestine laboratory response.
- Describe the use and limitations of respiratory protection.
- Describe decontamination techniques.
- Discuss the importance and application of raid planning.
- Define hard and soft entries.
- List sources of intelligence.
- Discuss fatal force issues specific to a methamphetamine lab entry.
- Use proper precautions when dealing with contaminated suspects/victims.
- Plan and execute a search warrant into a clandestine laboratory while using an air purifying respirator.
- Plan and execute a search warrant into a clandestine laboratory while using a self-contained breathing apparatus.
- Demonstrate proper planning and action for a flash fire while making entry into a meth lab.
- Demonstrate proper action when confronted with fatal force.
- Safely plan and execute a search warrant into a mock lab.
- Plan and safely execute a search warrant for tactical entry into a mock methamphetamine lab.
Course Length: 4 days/32 hours.
Who May Attend: Law Enforcement.