This course focuses on identifying and developing confidence in understanding the various ways and methods persons use to deceive police officers. Through practical application, students use various methods to develop skills necessary for detecting verbal, nonverbal, and written modes of deception. Though a series of lecture and practical-based programs, students learn to detect deception and avoid common pitfalls. This interactive class is superbly suited for the new investigator or patrol officer. By learning to professionally identify deceptive words, phrases, and non-verbal behaviors, the student gains confidence and skill in redirecting a person’s words to obtain a confession. Confidence is further gained when students practice their new-gained skills during actual interrogations in a class setting. The experienced law enforcement instructor uses actual case investigations and scenarios to reinforce the skills necessary to prepare for a successful criminal prosecution. Through this unique interactive class, the officer and investigator learn that being deceptive isn’t easy at all.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Give a brief history of interrogation.
- Describe the traits of an effective interviewer.
- Explain why people confess to misconduct.
- Explain and identify the five stress states.
- Define proxemics and explain how it influences the interview process.
- Define ethical behavior and know why it is important.
- Demonstrate the ability to read between the lines in a written statement.
- Explain why the interview and interrogation process is actually a communication persuasion process.
- Describe a strategy for successful interviewing.
- Define body language (kinesics) and how to use it to your advantage.
- Use the “behavior inducing technique” to structure interview questions.
- Define and use the “cognitive interview technique.”
- Perform a successful interview and interrogation.
Course Length: 3 days/24 hours.
Who May Attend: Law Enforcement, Corrections, Military (SF and MP only).