This course is designed to improve your skills in testimony, to increase your awareness of the court system processes, and guide you to better understand your important role which will in- crease your ability to be successful. One of the most important tools often overlooked during the training cycle of law enforcement officers throughout their careers is how to win in court. Those involved with investigative and enforcement activities should be aware that successful law enforcement initiatives do not end at the conclusion of an investigation, arrest, and/or issuance of a traffic citation. In fact, the investigation, arrest, or citation is only the beginning stage of many, in what appears to be a never-ending legal process. It is only at the end of this entire process that includes and encompasses the totality of the prosecution, defense, and trial phase of a case that results in a conclusion for the officers involved.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate testimony skills in narcotics investigations.
- Display an increased knowledge and awareness of the court process.
- Exhibit the understanding of language pragmatics during cross examination.
- Recognize the anticipation of defense strategies and tactics.
- Describe the importance of narcotics evidence and preparation prior to trial for its presentation.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the importance of proper narcotics and its relevance during testimony.
- Exhibit the understanding of the necessity of pre-criminal trial preparation relationship with the prosecutor.
- List civil litigation awareness, preparation, and testimony strategies.
- Display an understanding of how to minimize testimony pitfalls.
- Describe basic common definitions for testimony validity.
Course Length: 2 days/16 hours.
Who May Attend: Law Enforcement.